Sunday, July 02, 2006

THE LONGEST MONTH
July 2, 2006

This has been the longest month of my life. Despite the fact that my students were great and I genuinely enjoyed my first experience teaching, the month of June felt as if it would never end. Perhaps it felt like the longest month because I was not able to sleep as many hours as I am accustomed to sleeping. There were several nights when I only slept 2-4 hours. While some people can handle this type of sleep deprivation for many consecutive nights, I cannot. I become grouchy. I am not mentally sharp. I just cannot perform on a high level.

The fact that one month of summer school has left me this drained concerns me. The school year is 9 months, and I will be teaching full days as compared to half days. Plus, I will still have graduate school to deal with on the weekends. I'm going to have to figure something out between now and August.

First, I definitely think I need to make time to work out. If I work out, my energy level is much higher. Unfortunately, during summer school, I only went to the gym once a week. I need to get that up to two or three times a week at least.

Also, I need to budget my time better during the week. There were several nights during June that I didn't get a full night's rest because I talked on the telephone several hours. While talking to my friends and family is an outlet necessary for me to stay balanced, I can't afford to spend so much time on the telephone.

I will also need to stick to my general working rule, which is that I must keep mid-week activities to a minimum. People laugh at me when I tell them that I can't go out in the middle of the week, but I know my body and how it works. If I stay out late and have to work the following day, I will be much like a zombie the next day.

I guess I'll blog in December about whether this Fall feels like the longest couple of months of my life.

1 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Ben Guest said...

Great post. Teaching is draining (hence my advice to sit down now and again). Taking time for yourself (whether it is to work out, go to the movies, read a book, etc.) is key.

As I said on the first or second day a lot of your friends won't hear from you for awhile. It's true, unfortunately. This is an all-encompassing thing and you simply don't have time.

It's not easy, but if it was anyone could do it. As we've said before, it's the fact that it is difficult that makes this experience so rewarding.

The advice I usually give is that the harder you work the first year the easier each year after is. In that first year you have to generate all of your lesson plans, notes, handouts, and overheads from scratch. But once that is done, you've got them for years to come (with minor adjustments, of course).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home