Sunday, July 23, 2006

ANTICIPATION

Several things happened this week that increased my anticipation of the first day of school. Thursday I finally signed my contract, and I had the opportunity to visit my classroom. I was overwhelmed with the question in my mind: how will I decorate my classroom? Creativity is one of many things the Lord didn't find it necessary to bless me with, so it is clear that I'm going to have to have to call on some friends and family to help me out with decorating.

Visiting the classroom also made me more excited about the upcoming year. If teaching is anything like the experience I had in Holly Springs, I think that I will genuinely enjoy it. I am optimistic right now. I expect to have some good days and bad days, but I am hopeful that the good days will be much more abundant.

While many of my friends and family discouraged me from taking this path, they have recently given me very encouraging and supportive comments. Although, I am wondering if they are secretly making bets about whether I will be mass mailing resumes to law firms after two months of school.

This weekend, my high school class reunion was held. Several of my classmates are also teachers. Many of them have taught for several years and seem to be enjoying life. Talking to them made me feel like I made a good decision.

This evening, I watched the Tom Brokaw report on a Jackson high school entitled Separate and Unequal. The report of three high school students' challenges, failures, and successes, helped contextualize the job of teaching in a Jackson high school. I have no doubt this will be a tough job; but, I am ready to take on the task.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home