Friday, July 06, 2007

WANTED: BREAK TIME

If ever there is a professional that desparately NEEDS a two-month summer vacation, it is a teacher. After teaching for the last 11 months, I am somewhat bitter that I only have a one-month vacation rather than two months. However, I am just happy that the vacation has arrived!

I think about how enthusiastic I was when I first started teaching in summer school last year, and even when the fall semester started. I then compare my teaching during that time period to the teaching that I did toward the end of this school year and during summer school. It is sad to say, but I may very well have been a better teacher back then. It is mentally and physically taxing to teach children all day long. If you are not fresh, it is difficult to maintain patience and enthusiasm. I am the kind of person whose feelings are rather transparent, so it is almost impossible for me to fake it when I am mentally and/or physically tired. When I have to be in a classroom in that condition (and of course, it happens), the students unfortunately don't get my best. I'm sure I'm not the only one. In order for schools to get the best out of teachers, summer vacation is essential.

I hope that my little month will be adequate for the purpose of refreshing my mind, body, and soul so that I can return to school in August not just to teach, but to be enthusiastic about teaching. I don't feel like that now, but maybe I will after a few weeks of R & R.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home