Thursday, September 06, 2007

THIS YEAR VS. LAST YEAR

Unlike many, my second year of teaching has not started off as well as my first year of teaching for several reasons. Last year, I was excited about teaching and was still hopeful that teaching might be my career of choice. This year, I have already concluded that teaching K12 is not a lifetime career for me. I am well aware of my strengths and weaknesses and am very honest with myself about my shortcomings. I know that my personality is definitely not a fit for teaching children. I don't have the type of patience required in order to be an effective teacher of children. I need to teach adults. While I know that there is a reason for me teaching in high school last year and even this year (whatever that may be), I also know that teaching is not for me.

This year has also not been as good as last year because of my class schedule. I only have one section of the only course that that I actually like to teach, and 5 sections of the subjects that I don't like (and even told my administrators that). I am not an actor. I am an open book. Whatever I think and feel, it is pretty obvious to the world. Therefore, my less than enthusiasm about what I teach is likely very apparent to my students. I can't make them be excited about learning something that I'm not excited about teaching.

On top of the above, I have about 60 more students this year as compared to last year. Therefore, in many ways, I have to operate my class very differently than last year. I spend much more time controlling behavior this year. Like I said, I don't have patience for that.

So, obviously I haven't had the typical the second year is better than the first experience. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with my attitude, but that's not an easy thing to change. Good thing is that I have done many things for longer periods of time than this that I don't like, so I'll continue to teach this year, and the students will hopefully continue to learn. At the same time, I'll be searchig and applying for my next job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home